Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Author Cage ~ Author Ann Gimpel steps into the cage today.

Authorcage

 

Today in author cage we have author Ann Gimpel, author of today’s book blast Witch’s Bounty. We would like to thank Ann for stopping by and sharing with us. So let’s find out more about Ann.

 

 

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m a psychologist who began writing half a dozen years ago. I’ve always been drawn to supernatural elements and my early stories were all science fiction or fantasy. As my writing has settled in, I’ve found a comfy niche in paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I retired from anything even vaguely related to practicing psychology two years ago and I write full time now.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When my first short story was published by The Aurora Wolf Literary Journal. It was a hard sci-fi piece about a researcher stranded at an Antarctic research station and the robot she falls in love with.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

By adult fiction, if you mean erotic romance, my books are pretty tame in comparison to some I’ve read. First, I added romantic elements to urban fantasy and then I had some snarky characters who insisted on having sex with their hunky leads. Who was I to put the kibosh on that? I’m a “pantser” not a “plotter,” so my characters truly do run the show. If they want hot sex spread over someone’s desk, that’s exactly what they get. And then I boot them back to work moving the plot forward! LOL

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

This might be where twenty-five years a therapist really helped. There’s not much that hasn’t come up in my therapy room, and hardly anything I’m uncomfortable talking about. Writing is just an extension of talking, so writing sex scenes wasn’t scary. What does take some doing is making them continuously inventive. After all, there are only so many body parts and so many positions. I experimented with a couple of ménage books and I may add to that series (Wolf Clan Shifters) over time.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

I want Fionn from my Earth Reclaimed Series. He’s tall, blond, gorgeous, and a warrior to boot. He has a compassionate, sensitive side too, which is what I think makes a man a decent lover.

What was the first adult fiction novel that you read? What was your reaction?

Oh my, I’m dating myself, but it was Lady Chatterly’s Lover. I adore DH Lawrence and I’ve read practically everything he ever wrote.

Your favorite adult fiction book is-?

That’s a hard choice. I actually don’t read any erotica per se. I like KM Moning’s Highlander Series and her Fever Series. I also like Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changeling Series. They’re quite mild from an “adult fiction” perspective.”

Your favorite Author is-?

Sorry, I can’t pick just one. Basically, I need a good story with strong paranormal elements and deftly drawn characters.

Nora Roberts/JD Robb, KM Moning, Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Patty Briggs

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

I have a magic wand. I bought it from one of those esoteric bookstores forty years ago. It’s brass with a collection of different stones mounted on it and a crystal at the top.

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

My characters are not based on real people. All of them are composites of traits. They come alive in my head before I write about them and are generous enough to let me tell their stories.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

Gosh, I don’t see how it could get much more graphic than some of today’s books. That being said, the publishing industry is in flux and surprises are always a possibility.

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

That’s a hard question to answer. Most of the male leads are so “larger than life” that adult fiction might actually have the opposite effect. There’s just no way a human fellow can match up to a hot alpha shifter or a vampire like Dante. So long as each partner maintains realistic expectations, adult fiction might help with communication around sex and what each partner needs and wants. “Open marriage” has been around forever, but it takes a certain personality structure to actually live it. Most of us tend to do better with one partner and committed relationships, no matter what fictional models we read. I’ve only known of a couple “para” (e.g. group) relationships that have stood the test of time and the people lived in the San Francisco area where there’s a high tolerance for alternative lifestyles.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that’s too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

I don’t think anyone should be chivvied into doing anything that makes them uncomfortable. There’s a lot of fictional choice on the market. I think I’d ask them what particular part of adult fiction make them uncomfortable and let the conversation flow from there. Smiles. Guess my psychologist roots just bled through.

What is your motto?

I can do it.

If you would like to find out more about Ann and her books, check out the book blast below.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me on your very cool blog. My already-overflowing TRB shelves got a bit of a shot in the arm from some of the titles I found here! LOL!

    ReplyDelete