Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Author Cage~ Author Cora Cade steps into the cage today.

Authorcage

 

Today on the blog we have author Cora Cade, author of Morning Light today’s book blast. We would like to thank Cora for stopping by today and sharing with us. So here we go…

 

 

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

-Nestled away in a small town in Ohio, I spend my days adding delicious books to my library, snuggling with my four rotten dogs, and debating the finer points of life with the dear husband. By day I work in HR, by night I write sweet and steamy contemporary romances.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

-I've always been a writer. But in terms of taking it seriously, it was when I attended my first conference. Being surrounded by writers at all different points in their careers was as humbling as it was electrifying. That initial conference was the first time I really allowed myself to believe I could make this dream happen.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

-There wasn't a question when I first sat down to write that first book. I wanted to write something I would read. It really was that simple and that hard. I read across all genres and love a good YA, but I don't have the voice or the life experience needed to write an authentic YA character. Urban Fantasy is another genre I just cannot get enough of, but my true love will always be Contemporary Romance.

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

-Isn't that the truth! I had to give myself permission to not get it right, that first time out. A wonderful fellow author and friend gave me advice during a workshop one time, that basically goes like this, "Puke it out." Strangely enough, that advice has always worked. Get it out and on the page, it's so much easier after that.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

-Is it wrong of me to pick my own character? Probably, but I'm going to do it anyway! When you write a hero, I believe that you have to be fall a little in love with him. Otherwise, how does a reader and your heroine fall in love with them? I'm very fond of my hero, Noah, in MORNING LIGHT. He was my first hero, in my first book, and he's very handsome stand-up guy. Swoon.

What was the first adult fiction novel that you read? What was your reaction?

-I, unfortunately, cannot even remember! I've always been a voracious reader, so I'm sure I read something too adult too young.

Your favorite adult fiction book is-?

- Just one favorite is a tough call. A very, very tough call. I'm going to go broad here and say The Dresden Files. Jim Butcher is a genius and book fifteen in the series is slated for later this spring. And every single book is better than the last. Like I said, genius.

Your favorite Author is-?

-Again with the really tough questions. I'm going to say Jane Austen, but I also have a serious love of Julia Quinn. And Erin McCarthy. And Kit Rocha. And Moira Rogers. Oh, I could go on and on.

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

-It might seem trite, but I'm going with my wedding ring. It's the only piece of jewelry I wear everyday and I feel naked when I have to drop it off for a cleaning. The hubs picked it out without me and it's quite lovely. More importantly I love what it symbolizes in my life. Strength and stability. Love.

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

-My characters are complete fiction. Though, to be fair, they are built from my life experiences so it's quite possible they might say or do something I've seen elsewhere. Now I all my friends are going to try to figure out if they've made an appearance in one of my books.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

-Adult fiction can only continue to grow. The market is thriving and I believe we'll continue to see it stretch it's wings. We're seeing more crossover in genres and authors and publishers taking more chances, all of which I believe are all positive signs for great things to come.

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

-I think this is a trick question. I certainly don't think it can hurt a relationship, but I don't necessarily see how it can improve a relationship. Unless it results in more sex. That's always a plus for everyone.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that’s too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

-This is another tough question! I think it would depend on the reader, because everyone wants something different from their books.

What is your motto?

-"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." From a William Ernest Henley poem. The entirety of the poem is stunning, but this phrase has always been a driving force in my life.

Remember to check out the book blast if you would like to find out more about Cora and her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment