Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Author Cage~ Author Andrea R Cooper is in the hot seat today!

Authorcagehot

Morning guys! So today on the blog we have another author cage, and it’s a brave one! Squeal! We do love out brave ones. Today our guest author is Andrea R. Cooper, author of The Viking Fire and The Garnet Dagger. We would like to thank Andrea for stopping bt today and sharing with us. So…

 

Are you ready??

 

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

Thank you for having me.

I am from Houston, Texas. It is not the weather that keeps me here (Hot & Humid 360 days a year), but family and the yummy TexMex food. I am a wife and a mom to three kids: two boys and a girl. I enjoy reading and writing fantasy, paranormal and historical romance. Even though I have never took a dance class, I love Zumba. I am addicted to several SciFi/Fantasy TV shows and would have a meltdown if my DVR broke.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

I love fiction. 99.7% of the books I read are fiction. I will only read a nonfiction for research, to learn something, or if the book is highly recommended. As a kid, I never read nonfiction unless it was forced.

As far as writing fiction, I have always been a storyteller. I remember being in Elementary school and the neighborhood kids coming up to me asking what we were going to play. I created the plot and characters. Once we played ‘Space Vampires’ (yes I know it sounds silly now, but to a second grader it was revolutionary) and so that the kids did not bite each other, I told them their fangs were their first two fingers.

When I grew up, I could no longer ‘play’ out my characters. Since I had written poetry when I was fourteen until my early twenties, I tried a couple of times to write a novel, but life got in the way. After not writing for years, my Muse got tired of waiting and handcuffed me to her until I wrote my first completed novel in my early thirties and I have not stopped since.

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

I have to tell myself that it is not me. My characters are creating the steamy scenes. I am fine with writing fight or violent scenes so why not sex? Why the double standard? The world might be a better place if we (writers and readers) embraced love and sex more easily than violence.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

One of my characters? Bram from Viking Fire. I would love to hear more from him about his pursuit of Kaireen and his Viking upbrining.

Your favorite adult fiction books is-?

Many. Ok, I will limit it to three - does series count J The Indigo Court series by Yasmine Galenorn, The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, and The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop. I also adore The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind – oh wait, that’s four.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

I think we are in for more surprises. I have seen the merging and mixing of genres. My own debut novel, The Garnet Dagger, blends fantasy and paranormal romance. I am also updating a Native American historical romance I wrote years ago to include a paranormal element.

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

My cellphone, because it not only has phone numbers, (I could not remember them all), but it has games and my kindle app. The only time I am not happy with it is when the battery is too low or I am out of range for the internet.

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

Nearly all of my characters are from scratch. I did base one of the villains in Viking Fire on my horrible kindergarten teacher. I will not mention her name, though I am sure she is dead by now as she was old when I was in her class. However, as I wrote, this character took on a life of her own.

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

Yes. It can give us a glimpse of love and romance. How someone acts when they do love someone. What appeals to us, and what does not. After I was divorced, I believed that love in books, movies, and songs was exaggerated. Then I met my second husband and realized, love is like they say and sometimes even better.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that is too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

What movie and TV shows do you love? Those are adult fiction and the books are even better. If you have a kindle or nook, no one can see what you are reading – just try not to blush too much ;)

What is your motto?

Love is amazing, but you have to know when to walk away and find it elsewhere or when to stay and fight for it.

You have a few steamy moments in your novel. Were they created from fantasy or is there real life experience behind it?

Both and neither. What do I mean? Some novels I wrote before I had my own experience – though dreams can be intense even if you don’t know what you are doing J Others, like my two currently published ones, I sprinkled in my experience with some fantasy.

Why did you choose a virgin rather than a more experienced woman?

For Viking Fire, it fit the time period for her to be inexperienced. However, if I write the sequel which would be about Kaireen’s sister Shay (which I’ve had readers ask for) her’s would be the experienced woman as she’s a widow.

For The Garnet Dagger, having a virgin fit the story and prophecy. And both the hero and the heroine are virgins.

However, it is circumstantial. I do not purposely write virgins or experienced characters, it is whatever fits – or at least fits to me.

Foreplay, some say it is just a waste of energy, others feel that it’s a must. You’re opinion?

It is a must. However, there are times when a woman is ready and does not need much foreplay.

What sexual position is your favorite?

Any! LOL

Have you ever used your nails and left marks?

Of course, but always unintentional. That’s one way that your partner knows they are doing it right.

Do you think lingerie is a must for a relationship?

It is a must if it’s on the floor. I like to use it every occasionally as a surprise, but my husband’s just as happy if not more so to have me naked.

Are you a screamer or the bite it down kind of lover?

I was a screamer until we had kids, now I have to bite it down and still have to be reminded sometimes.

Why did you choose to write Paranormal/Fantasy?

Because I love it. I crave it – always have. I read it, write it, watch it, and dream it.

Anything fantasy, paranormal, or mythical was taboo in my house growing up and not allowed. Seriously, not even Disney. I think I was seventeen before I watched my first real magical Disney movie. There are still ones that I have not seen like Dumbo. You’d think that would have been ok, but no it has a flying elephant for goodness sakes J

There is a lot of biting in your novel, are you a biter yourself?

I have been known to bite a time or two. I have to be careful though because I have sharp canines. I had a dentist ask me if I wanted them filed down so they were not so pointy, but flat like he did his. No way, I think they are cool.

What creature/species do you think makes the ultimate lover?

I think the individual makes the ultimate lover. However, I do have to go with vampires being sexier. And hybrids or cross-species are amazing.

What creature/species if you’re favorite?

Tough question as I like them all for different reasons. I will have to go with Elvin though since they can be creatures of light or dark (Drow) and magic. And because my first published novel is about an Elvin bitten by a vampire and becomes the Vaer.

Wow another fabulous author cage, thanks for being here Andrea. If you would like to know more about Andrea and her books check it out over here

No comments:

Post a Comment