Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Author Cage ~ Today in author cage we have author Leigh LaValle, author of the Nottinghamshire Series.

Authorcage

Today in author cage we have author Leigh LaValle, author of the Nottinghamshire Series. We would like to thank Leigh for stopping by today and sharing with us some info and insights. So without further ado, here we go.

 

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

Hi! Thanks for having me today!

I am a historical romance author and juggle my time between writing, wrangling young children and supporting my husband in his demanding career. Honestly, I never thought I’d be living such a ‘traditional lifestyle’ where I’m the one tending to the home fires while my husband is out hunting for big game ;-) It’s just what happened. Writing keeps me sane. And writing steamy romance keeps me from feeling like June cleaver.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

I’ve always been crafting stories-especially tales of romance. When I was younger, I would entertain my friends at sleepovers by telling elaborate adventures of meeting boys and maybe even stealing a quick kiss.

I went on to study English lit in college and did a lot of creative writing at that time. I really love writing poetry and short fiction (3-5 page mini stories). I suppose I started to think of myself as a ‘writer’ at that time.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

By love of the genre! I do wonder sometimes why I keep throwing myself into the fire (writing itself is hard, reviews and sales and the business side can be worse.) In the end, the stories have always been there and they just keep multiplying. I think I would go a little crazy if I didn’t get them out somehow.

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

Ah, the steamy scenes ;-) For this book, I left them out until I was ‘in the mood’. I have to be feeling the characters and the narrative deeply to dive into the bedroom. (although, the rogue returns is a road adventure and there wasn’t technically any bedrooms…) I had an idea of what was going to happen, how intimate the characters would be, who was going to be in charge, that kinda thing. Then, when the times was right, I put myself inside their skin and went for it.

One of the hardest things for me writing steamy scenes is knowing my dad reads my books. I absolutely have to shut the door on that thought and barricade it or I just cant do it. Lol.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

Sherlock holmes. I’m not a huge mystery reader but he just seems super cool. I want to learn how he makes all his ‘deductions’. It like a super power, but available to regular humans.

What was the first adult fiction novel that you read? What was your reaction?

The first romance I remember reading was almost heaven by Judith mcnaught. My reaction? Hell yeah!!! And oh my god, these books exist? And ‘when do I get my man?’

Your favorite adult fiction book is-?

Absolute favorite? That is hard. I’d have to go with the duke of shadows by Meredith duran.

Your favorite Author is-?

Loretta chase or Joanna bourne

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

One possession? I was going to say my book collection. Does that count as one? If I think of something getting lost in a move, or destroyed, it would be my books. I have paperbacks from when I was a child that I treasure.

Other than that, it would be anything that my mom gave me, especially things in her handwriting. She passed away a few years ago. It would be a terrible tragedy to loose those.

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

I created them from scratch. My hero in the rogue returns has an element of robin hood to him, and I play with the Nottinghamshire theme, but he is his own man through and through.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

Wow, what a question. A huge surprise?…I would so love to see that!!! But I think any change is smaller, and more on the scale of expressing the human experience through words.

I am so curious how other authors have answered this question!

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

Definitely yes. in fact, there are studies that prove reading fiction strengthens our capacity for empathy.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that’s too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

I would just give them a kindle and remind them no one will ever know…

What is your motto?

Relax! Nothing is under control.

If you would like to find out more about Leigh and her novels, check out today’s Series Blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment